REALITICS

It is clear. Politics in these United States of America has lost touch with reality. I am convinced we, you and me, can succeed where others have failed in their attempts to bring some sense of reality into what we call "The Political Process." I call this effort, "REALITICS."

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Defense of Denial: A Strategy

Tone Deaf Denial
A Defense of Denial

by

Duane Short
September 17, 2006

I've been asked, "Duane, why do you convey various degrees of anger with those who reject your environmental messages?" I answer, "my anger assumes those who disagree are intelligent enough to understand these critically important and easily deciphered environmental issues... if they really wish to understand. Would recipients of my messages rather I assume those who disagree with my messages are too ignorant to understand... or, at least, to offer meaningful repudiation of my messages. Should I assume their ignorance, I could present my messages in a tone of pity rather than anger. Would my conveyance of pity be more desirable than my anger? I suppose only the individual recipient of my messages knows for sure which tone is truly more appropriate."

Some ask me, implying I am not objective, "why use a tone at all?" I answer, "I suppose that would be considerate of the tone-deaf who, if also in denial of irrefutable facts, reject my messages."

I defend my objectivity with cynicism because the seemingly innocent suggestion I tone down my message is, in fact, a cynical suggestion. The suggestion, however subtle, implies my message is not worthy of passion or, at least, emphatic enthusiasm.

This contrived framing of the question is a strategy to defend their denial; a strategy developed by those refusing to face the physical realities of a finite planet . I call it, the framing of their Defense of Denial. Many of those who prefer "I tone down my message" fully accept and even enjoy, infomercials featuring consumers giddy with delight at the wonders of arch supports, face creams, mega-mansions on hurricane-prone beaches, laxatives, get rich quick schemes, sharp knives, herbicides (plant killers) and the like. Then, I am asked to tone down an environmental conservation / preservation message that - if heeded and acted upon - can help prevent or at least delay planetary scale water shortages, carcinogenic and other disease causing pollution, genetic abnormalities, global warming, and perhaps full blown ecological collapse.


I am asked, by some, to speak in monotone. Why don't they just tell me to shut up? Telling me to shut up would reveal their true state... "a defensive state of tone deaf denial."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home